The American Experience
In order to better serve the international students arriving to study in our city of Santa Barbara, enhance their success in their academic and personal goals, and to offer an enriching cultural experience,
we would like to invite you to consider staying in a homestay in Santa Barbara.
Requirements to Live in a Homestay
Students who live with local families enjoy extraordinary and profound experiences. Many make life-long friends and enjoy in the benefits that come with living with a host family. Our goal is to connect our students with American families from Santa Barbara. Overall, the basic requirements for living in a homestay are:
1. To have a genuine interest in meeting and living with an American family,
2. To honor the family rules.
SB Homestay families:
- are open to welcoming international students into their home
- are located within 10 miles of SBCC
- are located within 10 miles of UCSB
- provide 7 continental breakfasts and 5 dinners per week or a no meals plan
- provide internet availability and laundry
- are available for 1-2 semester stays (minimum 3 months: UCSB) (minimum 4months: SBCC)
Joining our community of SB Homestay Families
If, after reviewing the information on our website, you truly wish to live in a homestay,
please fill out our Application for Homestay and sign the Student Agreement.
Once we receive your application, copy of passport, visa and I-20, and signed Student Agreement,
we will provide you with prospective homestay information.
We do our best to match students with the best possible homestay
and make sure once students are in Santa Barbara, they are feeling comfortable and safe.
Please understand that the need for housing varies with every semester,
as well as the number of students we receive and thus, we cannot guarantee placement for all applications.